Monday, January 4, 2010

Christmas Holidays 2009






This year we were blessed with an extra long vacation. Cam was off work from Dec 20 to Jan 3...pretty good for someone who had only worked 16 weeks in the whole year. The first few days were spent packing and cleaning in preperation for our long trip away from home. The car was packed a day early, just in case it took several attempts to fit all our "stuff" into the car. Travelling with 2 kids, especially while one is still a baby, requires a ridiculous amount of stuff....toys, clothes, snowsuits, just bags and bags of it, all so we could collect more from family and Santa.

We left on the 23rd to head to Didsbury. Our first day we were able to visit some friends who recently moved there and also had a baby on Dec 13. Although Lincoln is only 2 months old, it's so amazing to see how much they change in such a short time. Xavier was only 10 days old and still in the sleepy, floppy newborn stage. Lincoln already loves to stand and holds his head up so well. I will admit little babies make me want more babies....but I am still done.

Cam's sister, Nikki and her new fiance Darwyn (Congrats guys!) arrived late that night and the madness began. The first couple days I was really tired, too late nights and babies that didn't want to sleep made for a very tired and cranky Mommy. But we managed. Christmas morning arrived and Olivia had so much fun. She definitely understood Christmas a little more this year and was super excited for Santa and her stocking but her excitement peaked there. She quit halfway through her and Lincoln's presents and chose to draw on her Aquadoodle for the rest of the morning. The kids were really spoiled this year, tons of new clothes and some toys. Cam and I got the kids a DVD player for the car....it has already been a blessing keeping Olivia amused on our long car rides.

Didsbury was a great time.....great food and great company. But we travelled on to Stettler on the 27th for a few days in Stettler. The excitement of the holidays was over and it was nice to relax. I was able to meet up with a couple friends from high school that were also in town for the holidays. It was nice for them to meet Lincoln. Actually Kim and I had not seen each other since Olivia was Lincoln's age, crazy how things change in such a short time.

We decided to return home on New Year's Eve day, the roads were quiet and the weather was quite nice. We were actually quite lucky the whole trip with good travelling conditions. Anyways, we were debating staying in Stettler or heading back to Didsbury to spend the night with our friends but I woke up that morning ready to go home. We ended up having a quiet night at home, just the 4 of us. It was nice to look back on a wonderful year, we are so looking forward to everything 2010 has in store for us.

2010 started off with a bang...literally. The main water line into our house burst and we were flooding the streets. Luckily we found someone who was willing to work on a Saturday and our problem was fixed and we had running water again by that night. Our street is still a mess...a mix of snow, water and freezing temperatures has turned the neighborhood into a ice field. Oh how I wish I lived somewhere tropical sometimes.

Cam is back to work today. I am trying to keep busy and stop moping around the house. I knew it would come but it doesn't make it easier. I always say that we are very thankful Cam has found a job and that he will be employed all winter but I still hate that he is gone all week. It makes me sad when Olivia wakes up on Monday mornings asking where Daddy is....she misses him so much. Hopefully this will be temporary and Cam will find a job closer to home in the spring, or we will look into moving. I would like to live closer to family. Right now, both sets of grandparents are 3ish hours away and we would like to be closer. We will have to see what the new year brings.

No comments: