My first Mother's Day...one that will never be forgotten. My Grandma, Joan Klettke, passed away after a short battle with cancer. She was diagnosed less than 3 weeks earlier and while no one expected to have such a short time with her, we will all cherish those last moments with her. I'm so glad we all had the chance to tell her how much we truly loved her....things that may otherwise never have been said.
My Grandma's house was full of cards from their many friends. One night I read through a bunch and they were all the same. They spoke of the sweet, caring, generous woman that was so happy to call my Grandma. She never forgot anyone's birthday or anniversary....you always got a card and although we didn't see each other at Christmas there was always a card waiting.
Grandma was blessed with 6 grand-daughters and she loved us all so much, knowing each of us as the individuals we are. She called me "Candy"...I hated that name but from her it was okay! She also loved her 2 great grand-daughters, I know the last year she has been so proud to show off her new babies. She always remembered everytime Olivia had an appointment and would always call shortly afterwards to see how she was. And don't even get her started on the great grandson that will here soon...I have never seen anyone so excited for a baby boy!! But she'd be the first to remind you that there hasn't been a baby boy in the family for over 40 years!!
My relationship with my Grandma really changed in the last few years, after they moved to Medicine Hat. I will miss her phone calls and visits. When I go back to work, I'll probably spend the first weeks waiting for her to pop into the store and tell me all the coffee time gossip. I'll miss the beaming smile she had for Olivia. Even in her final days, she loved to make Olivia smile and play pat-a-cake. I'll always remember her daily (sometimes twice) phone calls at the end of my pregnancy to check on me.
I'm so grateful to Grandpa, Dad, Elaine and Jaime for taking such great care of their mom during her final days. I know Grandma must have been so proud to see you all come together and support each other during this difficult time. I'm grateful Christa was able to make a trip up from Arizona to see her. I'm grateful Jenelle was here to take such great care of Grandma and never forgetting to look after Grandpa as well. I'm grateful Tiffany was here to share those late night conversations while we sat with Grandma. I'm grateful Mom, Briana and Danelle got to say their final goodbyes to Grandma. I'm grateful to Cam for supporting me and spending extra time with Olivia so I could be with my family.
While I was writing this, I couldn't find any pictures of Grandma on my computer.....I cried so hard. Then I found an old video of Olivia at my parents house and you can hear Grandma talking and laughing in the background.....I cried even harder.
Grandma - Words cannot express the huge impact you have had on my life and how much you will be missed. I hope you are happy with your Mom and Dad and Lori. I hope you will watch over us and know that we will take you with us everywhere we go. I look forward to seeing you again someday.
No comments:
Post a Comment