Picking up from where I left off on Tuesday.....we ended up heading back to the hospital that evening around 9pm because I was having pretty intense contractions. They checked me and I had not progressed at all from the morning. So they gave me a shot of morphine so I could get some sleep. I labored all night but was able to sleep and rest in between contractions. Wednesday morning, we went back to the hospital and they gave me more gel hoping it would push me into active labour. We went home for a bit but we were back by 3 that afternoon. I was having horrible back labor at this point and was very dehydrated, so I got more morphine and spent the next 2-3 hours in the hot shower. By the time I got out of the shower, they decided to put an IV in because I was unable to drink or chew ice chips, I was about 6 cm dilated. I got into bed on my hands and knees to take pressure off my back and was feeling quite good. Morphine was my best friend at this point. My parents came into the room and I even let them take pictures of me!
Things were good until I got about 8 cm and had the urge to push. The doctor came in and broke my water, hoping that would make her drop down and put enough pressure on my cervix to get me fully dialated. They also gave me pitocen at this time to give me more intense contractions. The next couple hours I don't remember but it wasn't good. I was having non-stop contractions, my body was trying to push the baby out and I wasn't allowed so I was having to breathe through the contractions and resist the urge. I had so much nitrous gas I don't really remember but Cam says it was awful to watch. Around 12:30 the on-call doctor called the surgeon to see if they should do a c-section. He came into the room at 1 am and said that they were going to do the surgery because the baby had lodged herself sideways in my pelvis and would not be coming out any other way. I was just happy it was going to be over that I didn't care. It took about a half an hour from that time for all the OR staff to get into the hospital so I had to labor for another half an hour....Cam, my mom and dad were in the room at this time....during one contraction I asked if it had been a half hour yet....they looked at the clock, it had been 4 minutes....needless to say, they lied to me. At 2 am they wheeled me into the operating room and started the surgery.
Olivia Nicole was born at 2:35am. She was screaming, happy and hungry. While they finished the surgery, Cam left with Olivia while the cleaned her up and weighed her. A nurse came in later and told me she was 9lb 14 oz!!!! I could not believe she was so big. I spent the next 2 hours in the recovery room....Cam and my parents got to be with Olivia while they waited for me. When I got to my room at 4:30, I got to feed her and hold her for the first time. She was beautiful. So worth everything we went through to get her here.
She has been such an angel so far. She is feeding really well and sleeping well too. She's really been spoiling me, sleeping for 3-4 hours at a time and sometimes I have to wake her up to eat.
We left the hospital this morning and it's so nice to be home. Cam will probably go back to work on Tuesday or Wednesday, so my mom is coming back to help me out for this week, since I won't be able to drive for at least a week. Anyways, somebody is stirring.....here are a few pictures of her first few days.




1 comment:
Congratulations and thanks so much for posting! I have been checking back like 10 times a day. Glad to hear you and Olivia are doing well and she is spoiling you with lots of sleep time! Enjoy it!
A beautiful name for a beautiful little baby girl.....CONGRATS again!
Love,
John, Christa and Tula Belle
Post a Comment