Monday, October 29, 2007

Things I have learned since becoming a Mom

1. Olivia only needs what I do not have.....for example, she usually eats a 4 oz bottle but I usually have 2 made just in case, because occasionally she will eat up to 6 oz....when I don't have the 2nd bottle made, she will definitely be extra hungry.

2. While she hasn't grasped at any of her toys yet, my necklace and Cam's chest hair have been grabbed and pulled several times since birth.

3. Don't always listen to the experts....she sleeps on her tummy, is no longer being breastfed and is on her own schedule and she is the happiest baby and I am a happy mom....we tried to follow the rules and we were all miserable. We know what's best for us and it seems to be working.

4. As stubborn as I was before, I am a thousand times worse now. While I welcome advice and love hearing other people's parenting stories, etc.....do NOT try and tell me what is wrong with my baby. No, she is not always hungry or gassy, she's probably fussy right now because she is just as annoyed with you as I am!! I spend all day every day with her, I know what each cry and fuss means, don't tell me how to do my job.

5. I will never complain about my body again....thinking back, my pre-pregnancy body was not so bad, definitely less jiggley and I had a whole wardrobe worth of clothes that fit it. I wear the same sweats almost everyday, don't shower everyday and don't wear make up unless I am going out and Olivia loves me anyways.

6. Poop, puke, burps and farts are funny...really funny!! It can be poop that smells so bad it makes you gag or projectile vomit in Cam's facial hair or Olivia's monster burps and farts, and they never get old and always make us laugh.

7. TMI alert - Olivia has a "6th sense" about mommy and daddy's alone time.. anytime you think about sex, that is the night she is fussy or won't sleep until midnight instead of 9 or she will not sleep in her bed. And even in the middle of the afternoon, she will wake up from a dead sleep so you have 3-5 minutes to get things accomplished.

8. Getting whistled at in the parking lot and being told you have a "nice rack" is not nearly as flattering when you haven't showered, brushed your teeth and have spit up on your shirt.....I'm here to get formula and diapers you pig, F*** off!!

9. I am one of those moms who makes silly faces and talks in silly voices to get smiles and coos out of my baby and I do it in public. I always said I would never do it but I do. I am also learning, slowly, to love 4am because when she wakes up to eat at that time, she is exceptionally smiley and loves to grunt and be noisy. And while it is not really the best time, it is still so cute.

10. It's true when everyone says you can't imagine how much you can love a child until you have one. I wake up everyday so happy and thankful that we have such an amazing girl. I am so happy to do nothing but kiss her and play with her all day. It also makes me so happy to see her be loved by her daddy, and her grandparents and aunties as well. Having Olivia has made the love I have for Cam so much stronger. I love that he is an amazing father to her and still the same loving, caring and exceptional guy he has always been to me. Our little family is truly the light of my life!

No comments: